Stepping Into South Africa Music

 As I watched the video of Toumani Diabate play the Kora instrument I wanted to learn more about it because it looked interesting. It has a unique sound to it. The Kora is a stringed instrument mainly used in West Africa. Its the king of instruments in the Griot culture. It typically 21 strings. It's played by plucking the strings with your fingers. There are small pieces of shells that create a rattle like sound when the strings are plucked. Its has features of the harp and the lute. The sound of this instrument resembles the sound of a harp. Its built from a small calabash and covered with cow skin. Learning to play this instrument requires extreme discipline. As you can see in the video I inserted you can hear and see how it's used. https://www.kora-music.ml/the-kora-instrument/

The next thing I wanna dig into is the Ghana postal workers. The video on Canvas that I heard was amazing. I can't believe that those are people making those sounds with no instruments. I was shocked to find out that they were stamping letters,tapping, tapping, whistling and clicking scissors. The workers did this for fun, but it also helped time go by faster and actually enjoy working. The workers are working together in harmony. They cooperate to make rhythms and melodies together that turn their job into an enjoyable experience. The music expresses and shows the style of the African American Music. Although the music is improvised, it does have some repetitive patterns. When I first heard this piece I thought I was just hearing drums and other instruments. I was shocked to learn that it were just people making this music. You should watch the video in inserted, I find it intrsting. I would enjoy coming to work everyday if thats what we did. https://faculty.weber.edu/tpriest/FacetsMdl_files/Postal%20Workers.html
Last but not least im going to talk about the Isicathamiya. This is a singing style originated in South Africa. This style of music became very popular in Africa. This music is performed by males ranging from 4-2o of them. The group sings in 4 part harmony. They perform in unique uniforms, usually matching. While singing the members perform a coordinated smooth dance routine. Zulu is the main language in this style of music, but there is some English. People of African heritage have used the style of Isicathamiya music to express their hardships and struggles. The style of Isicathamiya music became popularized in the United States. 


Comments

  1. Thank you so much for spreading the information that you found. It is interesting how some of the groups compete against other acapella groups. Also, the music that they create is beautiful and kind of soothing in some way too. I am glad that you looked more into the Ghana postal workers too! That was really interesting to read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the details you gave for the kora. Not only does it look and sound cool, but it looks really hard to play. I really like that it has shells on it for shakers. I found that the mbira, which I researched for my blog, also had shakers attached to it. I like that it's a common addition to African instruments!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, if I could go to work and make music all the time like the postal workers did, I would enjoy it ten times more. Sometimes when I'm doing classwork or chores, I'll tap on things and hum and make a little tune. And I've always loved a capella, so hearing different groups perform took me way back to my honor choir days during high school. They look like they're enjoying it so much, which is what music is all about.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Learning about the kora from your blog was great!! Such a really cool instrument. I also was amazed by the postal workers, and I really enjoyed your blog!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Key ! I liked how you went deeper into the postal workers, it was very interesting to learn about how they did it without instruments. Another thing was the Kora I've never actual heard of it but it reminds me of a harp in a way. But it looks really hard to play lol. Great Job !

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Interviewing My Grandma

Music/Cultures Of Indigenous Americans

History On African-American Spirituals